If it’s fall, you can pretty much bet that there is a pumpkin-flavored baked good in my house. I eat so much pumpkin in a 3 month period, that by Christmas, I’ve burnt myself out completely until the next fall. I’ve made a lot of pumpkin muffin recipes: pumpkin chocolate chip, pumpkin streusel, vegan pumpkin, pumpkin pie muffins, etc. I have to say I’m a big fan of the pumpkin streusel, because that sweet crumb topping can make pretty much anything taste better. But then an hour later, I’m on crash from the sugar and I regret eating them. These muffins have a streusel-inspired topping that gives the impression of the streusel topping without the flour and loads of butter and sugar. Also, replacing much of the oil with applesauce lightens up this recipe even more! Recipe can be doubled if you have a bigger crowd.
Maple Pumpkin Spice Muffins with Crunchy Oat Topping
For the muffins:
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (I used Agave maple syrup)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk of choice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup All purpose flour (or another 1/2 cup whole wheat flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
For the topping:
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil or butter
- if using coconut oil, add dash of salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a Muffin tin and set aside.
- Mix together pumpkin and applesauce. Add melted coconut oil and combine. Whisk in maple syrup, egg, vanilla, and milk.
- Add in flours, baking soda, salt, and spices. Mix to combine, but do not over-mix.
- Use a cupcake scoop to divide the batter evenly between eight muffin cups.
- Combine melted butter or coconut oil, salt (if using), brown sugar, oats, and cinnamon. Sprinkle on top of unbaked cupcakes.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until muffin springs back to touch. Wait 4-5 minutes until slightly cooled to remove from pan.