You cannot go wrong with pumpkin pie + cheesecake. I like pumpkin anything, including pumpkin cheesecake, but every pumpkin cheesecake I’ve tasted just doesn’t have the full pumpkin flavor of pumpkin pie. The flavor, while tasty in its own right, seems to be diluted by all of the cream cheese. These super easy bars solve that problem. You get the savory pumpkin pie flavor combined with actual cheeeecake baked on top. You can even swirl the cheesecake into the top layer of the pumpkin bar layer for another delicious variation.
Pumpkin Pie Bars with Cheesecake Topping
Makes a 9 x 13 inch pan
For the bars
- 15 ounce can of pumpkin
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Morena sugar (or another 1/4 cup brown sugar)
- 2 eggs
- 1 stick of butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- dash of salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
For the cheesecake layer:
- 1 block of cream cheese (I used Greek yogurt cream cheese), softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 9 x 13 pan and set aside.
- Combine canned pumpkin, sugars, egg, and butter in a large bowl. Add in salt and vanilla and stir.
- Add spices, flour, baking powder, and baking soda and mix batter together. Batter may be slightly lumpy.
- Pour into prepared pan and spread as evenly as possible.
- With a whisk attachment, beat together cream cheese and sugar. Add in egg and vanilla and combine. Spread in a thin layer over pumpkin mixture. Swirl lightly with a knife if desired.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until cheesecake is set.
- Cool for at least 4-6 hours in the refrigerator or overnight before cutting into squares and serving.