I never used to like chia pudding. I had tried a lot of recipes and just wasn’t a fan of the taste or texture. I have recently started trying recipes with the chia seeds mixed with different flavors, like raspberry. The raspberries themselves have seeds, so you brain is already expecting a little more of the texture and crunch. I made this pudding as a snack the other day and could not stop eating it. I got to the end of this Mason jar and wished I had another Mason jar full of this delicious pudding. The earthiness of the matcha mixed with the creaminess of the coconut milk and the sweet but tartness of the raspberries together was a divine combination.
Raspberry Matcha Coconut Chia Pudding
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon matcha powder
- handful of raspberries
- 1 tablespoon of sugar or other sweetener
- toppings: more raspberries, slivered almonds, coconut chips
Combine 1 tablespoon of chia and half of coconut milk and let sit for at least 2 hours or overnight. Combine the rest of the coconut milk and matcha and combine. Add chia and let sit for at least 2 hours or overnight. Add raspberries to a sauce pan and heat on medium until raspberries have come apart and start to form a purée. Add sugar and cook for 1-2 more minutes. Let cool before serving. Assemble, layering if desired.
Anyone else’s succulent party favor from our wedding still alive? We have three left: two are thriving and one is holding on for dear life. Every time I look at these cute little cacti, it brings me back to two years (how has it been TWO YEARS?) ago to our wonderful wedding. Here’s a picture of those little guys (oh how they have grown) exquisitely captured by Esther Nail. 🙂
I’ve made a variation of this smoothie several times, alternating ingredients for what I have in the house. The components include a mixture of green veggies and various fruit. My main problem with traditional superfood or green smoothies has always been that they either taste like I’m drinking a liquified salad or they are so full of sugar that I think I’m cancelling out any benefit I’m getting from the healthy ingredients. Something about adding the matcha masks some of the earthiness of the green veggies. Plus, then you feel like you’re indulging in a matcha iced latte while still getting a healthy dose of nutrients and antioxidants.
Superfood Matcha Smoothie Bowl
- Handful of green leafy veggies (I used a mixture of kale and spinach)
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon honey or sweetener of choice
- 1/2 teaspoon matcha powder
- 1 stalk celery
- 1/2 green apple
- Another fruit: 1/3-1/2 cup frozen peaches, blueberries, raspberries, etc., depending on desired level of sweetness (can omit altogether if desired)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Toppings as desired: cut apples, almonds, coconut chips, etc.
- Blend ingredients together in a blender, Vitamix, or Magic Bullet until blended. Add toppings and enjoy!
Continuing with the blueberry theme of this week, I’m posting about this delicious smoothie bowl I had for lunch recently. It’s easy to make this recipe with simple ingredients that you probably already have in your fridge or freezer, and you can change it up depending on the season or your mood. I’ve started putting bananas that are starting to go brown into a bag in my freezer, so that I always have them on hand. Just make sure you peel them first – definitely haven’t made that mistake before…. 🙂 I added a little something extra to my smoothie bowl for a wonderful afternoon anti-oxidant matcha pick-me-up! The cool blue-green color of the mixture got me wanting to be relaxing on a beach somewhere!
Mermaid-Approved Blueberry Matcha Smoothie Bowl
- 1 frozen banana
- Yogurt of choice (I used Siggi’s Blueberry Yogurt)
- Handful of blueberries (I used fresh, but frozen works too)
- 2-3 tablespoons milk of choice
- 1-2 teaspoons matcha powder (depending on your taste buds)
- Toppings: I used blueberries, oats, slivered almonds, and coconut chips
- Blend banana, yogurt, fruit, milk, and matcha in a blender – I used a Magic Bullet.
- Add toppings and enjoy!